Richardson, TX, 75080
email@example.com | [email for phone number] | https://www.linkedin.com/in/frank-mitchell-250481/
In every job I have learned new languages and tools in a few weeks. I’ve evaluated many new technologies; some work well, some promise more than they deliver. My relentless focus on automated testing, performance measurement, code metrics, and process improvement uncovers surprisingly simple solutions to hard problems. Over my long career I’ve mentored junior programmers, taught even veteran programmers the virtues of unit testing, and learned to winnow important tasks from the chaff of urgent tasks.
For more detail see this page.
Senior Programmer/Analyst, Hotels.com, Dallas, TX
Mar 2007 - Feb 2009
Implemented architectural improvements to Hotels.com’s primary e-commerce web application. Removed long-standing code dependencies on ATG Dynamo, in preparation for deploying the Hotels.com and Web Sales Entry applications on Tomcat. Evaluated caching solutions for database and web service query results. Candidates were Terracotta, Ehcache, and a home-grown solution. Gave technical presentations on architectural changes.
Senior Developer, AeroXchange, Irving, TX
Aug 2006 - Oct 2006
Senior Programmer/Developer, Hotels.com, Dallas, TX
Oct 2004 - Aug 2006
Designed and implemented various components of the Hotels.com e-commerce ebsite, including tools for maintenance and administration. Specific tasks include:
- Wrote guidelines and examples for unit testing standards, and acted as mentor for developers writing unit tests. Gave technical presentations on unit testing. Also generated metrics on the adoption and effectiveness of unit testing, via Cobertura.
- Implemented uniform in-memory caching library for web application, and common independent service to clear all in-memory caches on all application servers. This caching system could be tuned by editing a single configuration file.
- Evaluated technologies for use within Hotels.com, including Ruby on Rails (rejected) and CruiseControl (approved).
Senior Software Developer, Bang Networks, Inc., San Francisco, CA
Jan 2001 - Jun 2003
Developed both incarnations of Bang’s Internet messaging platform. Specific projects and responsibilities include:
- Designed, implemented, maintained, and extended multithreaded client portion of a client-server JMS implementation.
- Designed and implemented two automated regression testing systems for Bang’s network appliance and client APIs.
- Introduced JUnit testing in organization in 2001, and acted as “unit testing czar”.
- Implemented prototype server-side adaptor for Tibco TIB Rendezvous in network appliance.
- Installed and maintained CruiseControl as a continuous build system.
- Optimized code using JProbe.
- Gave technical presentations on unit testing and other subjects.
- Intermittently maintained internal documentation Web site, and wrote documents on build and test procedures.
Senior Software Developer, E*TRADE, San Francisco, CA
Jan 2000 - Dec 2000
Worked with designers, project managers, and other developers to produce a beta version of a proposed portal site to demo to high-level management within E*TRADE. Specific areas coded:
- A hand-coded module to map classes to a relational database table via an XML file and Java reflection.
- Integrated cached Destination E*TRADE portfolios into the pre-existing portfolio system.
- Pages for news and quotes, and adaptors for multiple vendor-specific news and quote feeds such as Reuters TIC.
- Prototype CORBA-based applet clients, and XML-based Flash clients, for streaming quotes into a web page.
Member of Technical Staff, Sun Microsystems, Inc., Cupertino, CA
Sep 1997 - Dec 1999
Assistant Vice President/Business Systems Analyst, First Chicago/NBD, Chicago, IL
August 1991 - August 1997
Key developer, implementor, and maintainer of a trading system written in Objective-C for NEXSTEP running on NeXT, Intel, and HP hardware. Co-designed ClassInfo, a simple object-relational mapping from Objective-C to Sybase tables. Designed and implemented interest-rate trade object model. Maintained and extended initial design to include exotic options priced via RPC calls to a remote server. Wrote spreadsheet interface to pricing functions and trade objects. Worked on-site with London traders and marketers to debug the system, and customize it for their needs.
Programmer/Researcher, Continental National Bank, Chicago, IL
Jan 1990 - Aug 1991
Implemented and maintained Solaris and C/UNIX-based trading systems for the foreign exchange and fixed-income trading desks Collaborated with users to debug programs, expand functionality, and improve performance. As system administrator from June to August, 1991, performed SunOS 4.x installations, tightened network security, and performed general troubleshooting.
Programmer/Researcher, First Options of Chicago, Chicago, IL
June 1989 - December 1989
Rewrote portions of the a PC-based program written in C with MS-DOS batch programs. Acted as “software librarian” for application source.
- Programming Languages:
- Operating Systems:
- Linux (3 years), Solaris (5 years); familiarity with basic Windows and Mac tasks.
- ATG 6.3.0 (3 years), AJAX (4 years), CSS (4 years), DHTML (4 years), e-commerce (5 years), J2EE (5 years), JDBC (6 years), JMS (3 years), JSP (8 years), RDBMS (19 years), Spring (3 years), Struts (5 years), Tiles (5 years), Tomcat (3 years), XML (11 years), XSLT (1 year).
- Ant (7 years), CruiseControl (9 years), CVS (10 years), Eclipse (5 years), jMock (5 years), JUnit (9 years).
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics, University of Chicago, Chicago IL, June 1989. (Note: U of C had no undergraduate Computer Science degree until 1988.)
Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, Concentration in Computer Security and Forensics, Strayer University, Irving, TX / Online, April 2014